Wednesday, August 23, 2006

An Appeal

Couple of days back, one student at IIMC met with an road accident and after about 1 week in the ICU, succumbed to the injuries. It was shocking, disturbing, but more than anything else, it was unfortunate. I personally didn't know the guy, but it disturbed me. "Could've-been-me" feeling! The guy was riding a motorcycle, without a helmet and possibly under the influence of alcohol. He crashed with a bus and hit his head on the road. Pity. Foolishness? Waste!

Kolkata road accidents data.


Couple of years back, I would've put the entire blame on the foolhardiness of that guy, but somehow it doesn't seem right anymore. Most of us aren't aware how easy it is to lose our lives. Just a little misfortune and there's no tomorrow! Most of the time, most of us don't give any thoughts to such possibilities and the consequences. I had my own little face-off with it once, about an year back. And it sets you thinking. One of our professor, whose tongue can sting at times, said,"This is perhaps the most mindless way of dying." And I couldn't agree more.

More fortunately than unfortunately, early in my biking days, when I was still a noob, I had a little accident. I was learning biking and it skidded. I landed safely and absolutely no harm was done. But that incident never left me, it's always there at the back of my mind. Result: I developed as an extra cautious biker. Of course, I've had my moments of madness. Fortunately, I survived all of them.

There isn't much to say. The sad incident can end up being just a statistical data point, unless we take a lesson from it. Sincere appeal to all bikers - please get a helmet!

3 comments:

nupur said...

Since how many years have you been wearing a helmet Varun?

Akash Sethia said...

Sincere appeal to all bikers - please get a helmet!

Even at the risk of sounding sarcastic - varun, the above line is simplistic. I do hope sometime someone will come up with statistics that lists deaths/injuries resulting from rash biking. That is perhaps the most mindless (and safe) way of killing/injuring

A more relevant appeal would be to "bike safely" weather or not you wear a halmet not just for your but others' safety as well.

I am not generalising this but its a fact for everybody to observe that bikes have been the favourite of most rash drivers.

Ps. My sincere condolences to the ufortunate family of the person involved in the incident.

Anonymous said...

Yes jatboy. I still have that helmet that you made me buy. Though I don't have any vehicle anymore I still see that helmet and feel protected.
ma** kitno ko helmet khareedwayega?

-nandu