Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Nosey Problem

*sigh* .. I never had any fractures or any surgery, which isn't very rare I suppose. But I liked it this way. I came very close to breaking my jaw when during one trek near Kalyan when I slipped at one waterfall and fell chin-first on a stone. It would not be wrong to say that I was a little disappointed when after all the efforts I put in convincing the IIT hospital doctor to get an X-Ray, no cracks were discovered. I still bear a one-inch-long scar on my chin, which narrates a rather more glamourous story. Now it seems I might lose the distinction soon. My nose has a deviated septum, which is how doctors describe a deviated central partition of the nose. Ever since I can remember I used to get my nose blocked everytime the temperature dropped. So this time it wasn't a surprize, but this time it didn't get better for over a month. And boy, is it irritating! I don't like to breath from my mouth & breathing from a clogged nose is too much of effort. All inhalers & balms have failed and I can't even sleep properly. The oxygen intake has dropped I guess, because I feel drowsy all day & keep yawning (and I thought my impression on my boss can't get any worse :-).



Factually speaking, 80 percent of all nasal septums are off-center. A "deviated septum" occurs when the septum is severely shifted away from the midline. Septoplasty is the surgical process the doctors recommend for deviated septum patients. Today when I went to the doctor he made such a pitying face ("Beta, tu to gaya" look) while breaking this news to me that I'm a tad concerned about it! I need to hear from someone who has undergone this surgery and need to learn a bit more about it. But first of all, I need to get my medical insurance policy from my company!

Watched Bluff Master tonight. It's good for one time watching - buy-see-forget. Basically, even if you don't have very strong story and concept, a lot of difference can be made by some crisp dialogues and this movie has it's moments. So I would say go watch it and let me know if the ending reminded you of The Game.

I can't understand why Bollywood is so ga-ga over these conman movies all of a sudden. We've had Bunty aur Babli, Chocolate, Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena and now Bluff Master, all in the year 2005. It's not the first time conman has sizzled the silver screen, the Big B has many conman movies to his name but this theme was lost somewhere among the candy-floss romance & Dharmendra style violence during the 80's.

My favorite conman movie would be Catch Me If You Can. What made it all the more exciting was the fact that it was based on the life of a real conman! While India too have its very own Natwar Lals & Shobhrajs, sadly most of the inspiration Bollywood takes comes from the West.

P.S. - If you too took the Color Quiz and were impressed by their analysis, may be you should read about the Forer Effect.

7 comments:

Hemal Modi said...

I am not sure if the surgery helps. Try some alternative medicines or at least get a second opinion.
Hope you get an assurance from the doctors and then we can worry about the insurance. :)

Hemal Modi said...

Also, the image is directly linked to the original website and you may be in trouble for copyright infringement and also bandwidth theft. ;)

Jeet said...

Hi,

Oye, scott adams had gone through same surgery recently.. ya phir woh kuch aur thee?

Jeet.

Unknown said...

I see that you have done your home work on the nasal history, good for you. Wish for your fast recovery.

Talking about Bluffmaster, I wanted to see the movie only for Abhishek (I am in love with him and dont you go , "oh no !! not another one of those."). I wanted to see his performance, which I am told is getting refined by the day (rather by every movie)...I hope I can find time to go on sunday, which seems like impossible since tickets should be one BIG problem. The conman concept in nothing new but having a bunty and babli on his sleeves I would rather seek to know how abhishek performed in this one. Any difference?

Raj said...

A friend of mine underwent the same surgery and it is not that painful (or so i'm told). He recove fully in few days.

I think its best to get rid of it asap.

Varun Singh said...

Thanks Hemal. I'd go for another checkup surely. And don't worry about the bandwidth-theft, I'm surely I'm not eating up too much of their bandwidth ;-).

Jeetu bhai. Scott Adams ka to pata nahi, poochna padega :-).

TES, Bluffmaster is Abhishek's movie and you won't be disappointed. BnB looked sort of immature movie to me with its kindergartenish tricks, Bluffmaster is a bit more sophisticated. Just a bit.

Raj, I've heard the same thing. This shouldn't take more than an hour or so. Should get it done soon. Don't know much about the success rate of this particular surgery.

Jeet said...

The story starts from here..

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2005/11/blogging_under_.html

and you can track his further posts on same topic..

By the way.. Douglas Adams ko bhi similar problem tha.. :D