Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Camera Panasonic

On his recent trip to US, RG bought me Panasonic DMC Lumix FZ-20. For quite some time I was confused between going for a DSLR camera or a Ultra Zoom Digital Camera. DSLRs cost around twice the money a high end, ultra zoom digicam will take. So, though I was besotted with the capabilities of a Digital SLR camera, I decided to go for FZ-20. It has a super long 12x optical zoom, along with 4x digital zoom. The image is stored using 5 mega pixels, which ensures supreme picture quality. It comes with it's proprietary battery, so you can't really put in some cells from the shop. So that is one problem, but the battery gets charged in two hours flat, so it doesn't pain much. The LCD of Canon Powershot S1-IS was detachable and you could rotate it. It helped if you want to click some difficult angles, but in FZ-20 the LCD is fixed in the camera, so you must keep the camera in front of your face.
On our recent trip to Wayanad, I took the camera along and clicked some pictures. Some of the better ones are following, click on them to get larger versions. I've also tried to explain some of my favorite modes.Please keep visiting my photoblog, I shall be posting my pictures there.


Panning: I'm very pleased with the panning mode in the camera. Earlier, whenever I had tried panning, the picture came out as over-exposed and shakey. While it depends heavily on the skill of photographer, having an extra mode for panning saves ametuer photographers, like me, from the complexities.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Macro Mode: The best thing about the camera, with my limited exploration, seems to be the powerful macro mode. You can get as close as 5 cms to the subject and it clicks sharp pictures for you! I've also used this mode to get shallow depth of field effect.


Potrait: The camera has a very effective potrait mode. If the background is sufficiently far, it blurs it so the potrait gets more sharp.

4 comments:

Pankaj Jain said...

Amazing pics dude. Better put these thumbnails in the permanent strip on the top of ur photoblog. they look really good as thumbnail. There are cobwebs visible in one. too good

- said...

I agree! awesome pics! as always lookin fwd to your pics..even more now than ever ;)

Namit said...

A detachable LCD that you can rotate is really a big big help. Given that the hajaarX optical and 2hajaarX digital zoom, picture modes and other features are more or less similar in cameras of a given price range, Canon is my choice just because of that convenient LCD display.

Yours has a Leica lens, which is cool. I checked out the dpreview, the top has just one rotating knob for mode selection, and the back panel has few buttons. Few buttons could be good and bad. They are less cumbersome to handle but might also require a greater time to fix the settings in complete manual (M) mode.

Also, is it a manual zoom (with the help of a ring) or automatic zoom (the +/- or t/w button)? The former is more convenient.

Varun Singh said...

The zoom is quite similar to Canon Powershot S1-IS, it's a knob near the shutter button. It has a ring for manual focus.

I don't mind the LCD thing much as I shoot using the EVF most of the time.

Yet to find out about the pain/ease with fewer buttons. The reaction time is substantially lesser than Canon. Keep the cam in Manual Focus and use Once Auto Focus mode to pre-focus it, then the capturing doesn't take much time.