Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year - hah!

Be careful what you wish for... you might get it!
Don't know who said that, but whoever it was - s/he hit the bull's eye. Not long ago I was thinking about how blessful it would be to get hospitalized for a while and thus having a good solid reason to skip the mundane routine of going to office and waiting for the evening. Reason I got and a real solid one too - my company is closed! In short the story is - they got sucked into some law suit and it was sent back to lower court for a jury trial. Attorneys cost about $3.5-$4M US and with this the risk of getting an adverse result was another factor. So, the investors pulled the plug. It came as a bolt out of the blue for all of us working here in the India office. What a news to get on the first day of new year :-).

Though I didn't have much work for last few months, I did work on some interesting things here. It was good till it lasted. Only thing pinching me is that we won't be getting any compensation. I don't think anyone, even among the higher ranks, is getting anything out of it, so it isn't fair to expect any compensation, I guess. Even without the compensation the situation isn't too bad. The job market is quite hot here in Bangalore and some of the consultants have already contacted me. I'm planning to take interviews from next week, should get some decent job sooner or later.

Another "good news" for the day - CAT results are out. I still haven't got hold of my percentile scores, but have got the call-results. IIMA & IIMB didn't find me worthy enough, I've got calls from rest of the IIMs. That can only mean that what I had expected (and mailed to many of you) to be my score isn't true. When I first calculated the scores, I was hopeful of getting all 6 calls. When I didn't get call from IIMA, I didn't thought much of it - they are known to hold strange criteria. But I was positively hoping for IIMB. Whatever. IIMC interview is scheduled for March 14th, I've decent time to prepare. Hopefully, I'll make it to IIMC.

What did I do after such a sterling start of the year? Went out to buffet at Three Quarters Chinese with ex-office mates (now the office is reduced to just a high-speed broadband cyber cafe), went out to eat a lavish dinner at The Legend of Iskandar, coupled with a movie at Inox :-). Shikhar - avoid it like plague!

P.S. - New year at Goa was fantástico, just that the 18 hours drive in Qualis was a big pain in the ass (literally). Check out some of the pictures I took there at my flickr page. I'll upload more soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog yaar :-)
Best of luck for your IIM journey!