Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Zero Income Credit Card

- Hello, is this Mr.Varun Singh?
- Yeah, this is Varun.
- Sir I'm Sharmila from ABC Damroo Bank. Would you be interested in our life time free credit card?
- No.
- Sir, do you have any other credit card?
- I've a credit card from Eye-See-Eye bank.
- Sir take our card too. We've excellent benefits.
- Sharmila, my income is zero. Would you still be interested in giving me your card?
- Your card limit is zero, sir?
- No, I'm out of my job. I earn nothing at all. But I so dearly want your card.
- (nervous laughter) Wait sir, I'll talk to my manager.
(fus-fus-fus-fus)
- Sharmila, please give me that card. I very dearly want your Damroo card.
- Sir, let me call you back after some time.
- I'm noting down your number. I'll call it again and ask for Sharmila. Please give me your credit card.
Heh! This really happened. I'm still waiting for her call. It seems I've made many of you worry for me by the news of my company shutting down. I'm very thankful for you concerned mails & calls, but the fact of the matter is things aren't bad at all. Infact I'm kind of enjoying this time off the office. The only problem is that I'll have to prepare and appear for job interviews again. When you know how big a farce this whole thing is, its very difficult to motivate yourself :-/.

The shock value of my company's news is enormous. I broke the news to many of my friends with a smile and most of them were shocked beyond belief. I guess, since its a rare situation & leaves an impression that I'm depressed/distressed - it gets people very worried. But the situation isn't that bad either. I've no liabilities (loans etc.) and I'm confident of getting a decent job sooner or later. I have decent money to survive the wait, so no big worries there.

The wheel is already set rolling. I'm taking interviews with some of the better software firms here in Bangalore. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, thank you all for the support :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha..ha..ha...ur antics with the call center folks always amuses me...i still laugh over the time when we fooled "Sumanth" with the "Customer of the Month" award :)

nupur said...

There is no dearth of jobs for CSE fellows. Even in the US, my CSE friends graduated with 2-3 jobs (of their liking!), which is great considering others (ECE, IE etc) have to put in quite a struggle. Finding another good job is probably just a matter of a few weeks time. :-) Good luck anyway.

Anonymous said...

Life's what happens to you when you're planning for everything else!

Anonymous said...

I will certainly use your experience when some officious person from bank calls me. I don't care that I have a good job and a comfortable income. I can tell what I want. I hope, it could save me from them :)