Monday, January 30, 2006

Wishlist and Jaipur trip

Trip to Jaipur was as whirlwindish as they get. We went there to attend Vyas' marriage. Many of my good friends from college were there at the marriage, so it was a kinda get-together. Was fun. Since it was Jha's first time in Jaipur, we showed him around. Some of the forts and all, even we Jaipuris had forgotten :-). I strongly recommend "Chokhi Dhani" to everyone visiting the city. It's like crash course to Rajasthani music and rural life. Though the rural life isn't as hunky-dory as they have at Chokhi Dhani, still its the best way to spend your 225/- (unless you add 70/- more and go for "India Unbound - Gurcharan Das", but I digress). The thing is, I'm a big sucker for Rajasthani music. And its not very easily accessible! Probably, since I don't get to hear it a lot, that's why I'm so starved for it.

If Chokhi Dhani is a crash course, Bikaner's Desert Festival is the perfect setting to leisurely soak in the Rajasthani music. This time when I was at home, I saw a programme on the recently concluded Desert Festival. I had attended it once when we were in Bikaner, years back. I remember being mesmerized by the charming folk music! The Langas, The Manganiars, The Kaalbeliyas .. total godgiri! I think with good promotion they can get as popular as the Bhangra and stuff. Already Langas & Manganiars are quite popular abroad, but the awareness about them remains low among fellow Indians.

Rajasthani music wasn't marketed well even in Rajasthan just few years back. Not anymore. Veena Music came up about 4 years back and they haven't looked back since then. Already the company has released about 50 popular albums, out of 4 part of 'Ghoomar' has created a milestone in India as well as abroad. The ever increasing demand for "Veena" creation has prompted the company to start making CD of each cassette and around 40 audio CDs have so far been introduced. My parents are big patrons of Veena, I think they've about 6-8 cassettes by them. Personally, I think they concentrate more on the soft melodies and not on the raw folk music. They've hired some upcoming singers to sing for them, I would've preferred if they had recorded with the original folk artists. Anyway, their popularity only proves the point I made earlier - with proper marketing, Rajasthani music has the potential to make it big.

My Wishlist :-

Rajasthan Folk (VOL 1): Langas & Manganiars
Someone please buy me this :-). I'm eager for the "Nimbuda" song in particular.




The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity
Waiting to get my hands on this book for some time now.








P.S. - I like surprizes too :-)

No comments: