Sunday, May 07, 2006

Pixel Blues

Lotus 2

Clicked this one at the Leela Palace hotel. I like this frame, mostly because the inclusion of the leaves makes it look like the "God of Small Things" cover design.

It's almost a year since the photography bug bit me hard. I was always interested in clicking, but not really deep into it. It started with the Pune-Bombay trip with Jha & Rg. Jha had bought the beast named Canon Powershot S1 IS and the train journey was just long enough to get me interested in the camera. After that, I clicked a lot using Jha's camera; on weekends, during lunch hours, at nights. I even started a photoblog on blogger and started posting an image daily. The photoblog got reasonable success. Then I bought myself a bigger & better beast - Panasonic DMC Lumix FZ 20. By this time, I was majorly into photography & photoblogs. I learnt mostly using online resources. My first ever entry at the PhotoFriday.com challenge got me a podium finish, but since then I haven't been lucky.

Then something happened I had always feared. Don't know where exactly it started, but I guess sometime around the start of this year, my interest in the art started to wear off. May be it was the job change, the new job demanded a little bit more than the last one, or the pantry in office which made it unnecessary to have the lunch outside, or the rising temperature. I shut down the photoblog and even the uploading at my flickr account (which went pro, courtesy Rg & Jha) reduced to a trickle. I lost the inspiration and my photos stopped to excite me.

Now, I'm pushing myself hard to get going once again. Ooty wasn't a big success, with the bright glaring sun. I went to the good ol' Leela Palace and clicked some good ones. Soon I'll be moving to Calcutta, which is one city that excites many renowned photographers. The IIMC campus is quite picturesque in itself, I'm told. Right time to start it all over again. Thus, I have decided to revive the photoblog. Though I did write some Javascripts to implement some of the essential functionalities (like the "previous" & "next" links), I'm not very happy with the blogger.com photoblog. They're really lagging behind in this, they should provide some decent templates for photobloggers too. But sadly, other than Blogger.com there aren't any free blogging services which provide better support for photoblogging. At least, I haven't came across any. I have to read more about Pixelpost, but AFAIK they need some online space to work with and that would mean doling out some bucks. That wouldn't be the most prudent thing to do before plunging once again into the student life.

So, if you guys come across some easy solution, puhleeeeeez let me know. In the mean time, I'll carry on some experiments with the blogger templates to make it look something as simplistic, yet cool like this or this. And yeah, I'm also kinda looking out for someone who won't mind modeling for me :-D

4 comments:

The elderly camel said...

The photo sure does resemble the cover of God of small things!! Am very glad you have decided to start shooting again. Calcutta should offer you boundless opportunities but maybe not time :). Good luck in choosing your template!

Vivek Kumar said...

Good luck with looking for models!

Varun Singh said...

Thanks Sid, working on it.

@Vivek: Thankuwaad. Jab tak main Delhi nahi aata, please koi aur photo hi laga lo! Ye Baankelal style wali smile wali photo hata le bhai!

Jeet said...

Varun: I totally agree with you on Vivek's photo front.. Aaane do ji mast wali photuen :-)